A competition of Musical Composition for the Moving Image
The Edison Studio collective, with the collaboration of Romaeuropa Festival 2020 and the support of the Cineteca di Bologna (Film Archive of Bologna), organized the 5th edition of the “Sounds of Silences” International Competition of Musical Composition for the Moving Image. The aim of the competition is to stimulate musical creativity in its interaction with the audiovisual media, particularly for the reinterpretation of historical silent films and the creation of new soundtracks, with a special concern for timbres as in today’s instrumental, electronic and electroacoustic music.
162 participants from 36 countries submitted their compositions to the “Sounds of Silences 2020”.
The international jury has decreed the following top 10 ranking:
1) Diego Ratto (finalist)
2) Paolo Di Rocco (finalist)
3) Simone Castellan (finalist)
4) Mattia Parisse
5) Armando Balice
6) Alessandro Di Maio
7) Silvia Cignoli
8) Hsin-Hua Wang
9) Alberto Mirko Zambelli
10) Atte Kantonen
An international jury consisting of
– Simon Atkinson (composer and lecturer at Media School, DMU University Leicester, U.K.).
– Emanuele Casale (composer and professor of electroacoustic music – Conservatory of Palermo)
– Giulio Colangelo (composer and professor of electroacoustic music – Conservatory of Lecce – Artistic co-director of MAIN Matera Intermedia Festival)
– Francesco Giomi (composer, director of Tempo Reale – Center for Research, Production and Music Education, Florence and professor of Electroacoustic Composition at Conservatory of Bologna)
– Gabriele Manca (composer, professor at Conservatory of Milan)
– Elio Martusciello (composer, professor of Electroacoustic Composition at Conservatory of Naples)
– Per Anders Nilsson (composer, PhD/Professor Academy of Music and Drama – University of Gothenburg)
– Marco Russo (musicologist – University of Trento)
– Michele Tadini (composer, coordinator at Irmus-Institute of Music Research, Milan, professor of composition and music informatics at Conservatoire National Supérieur Musique et Danse de Lyon)
– Barry Truax (composer and professor at Simon Fraser University Vancouver, Canada).
– Roberta Vacca (composer, professor at Conservatory of L’Aquila).
have selected three finalists among the entrants, who will be invited to create a soundtrack for a short-length movie chosen by Edison Studio in collaboration with the Cineteca di Bologna. That original soundtrack must be completed and sent to the organizers by October 5th, 2020.
An international jury consisting of
– Monique Veaute (president of the jury and the president of Romaeuropa Art and Culture Foundation),
– Valentino Catricalà (Contemporary Art Curator -Director Art Section Maker Faire – The European Edition, Rome),
– Antonio Poce (composer),
– Francesco Giomi (composer – director of “Tempo Reale” – Center for Research, Production and Music Education, Florence and professor of Electroacoustic Composition at Conservatory of Bologna),
– Andrea Ravagnan (Cineteca di Bologna),
will award cash prizes to the finalists during a public event scheduled for 21 October 2020, 7 pm, as part of Romaeuropa Festival at Foyer 1 Ex Mattatoio (Testaccio), Rome. During that event, all three soundtracks will be presented in sync with the films to the audience and the jury.
All of us at “Sounds of Silences 2020” are very grateful to all members of the international jury for their excellent work.
We send our congratulations to the three finalists of the “Sounds of Silences 2020” competition:
Paolo Di Rocco
Looking forward to seeing you in Rome on October 21 th, 2020.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org